Saturday, July 01, 2006

Canada Day Home Game

Rob and I hosted another home game tonight. As usual, it was a $10 freeze out tournament. And since it was also a holiday for us Canadians, we also hosted a BBQ before the game got started. The food was plentiful and great. Hot dogs, sausages, hamburgers. Potato and bean salad, caesar salad. Corn on the cob and deviled eggs. We fed our friends well.

The tournament itself didn't last long for me. I ended up being the second one out. Unfortunately, I went all in with was I considered to be the best hand, but turned out I had been trapped (although, it was an unintentional trap) by my opponent. A min-raise in MP gets called by the button and myself in the SB with KJ. The flop came rag, rag J. I wasn't worried about AJ because the initial raiser wouldn't min raise with that hand (his min raises were a weak attempt to steal). I bet about half the pot and both the raiser and button call. When the turn came another rag, I knew I needed to make a move. I was out of position and if the min-raiser had a A, K or Q he would call to the river on smaller bets to try and catch a pair. The button was a tight player but he sometimes over values hands like QJ or suited cards. I decide to push, sure that if either call, I will have the best hand. The raiser folds and the button asks how much I have. So not an instant call. In fact, he was determining what his stack was going to be if he lost. So, before I state his cards, I did almost get him to fold. So, knowing that, guess what his hand was.....


Well, if you guessed QQ, you were right! When he didn't insta-call there was no way I would have thought he had an over pair. I dunno maybe it means I'm either a really good player or a really bad player, but if I had an over pair to that flop, I wouldn't pause to call. Anyway, my hand doesn't improve and he goes on to take second in the tourney. At least he put my chips to good use.

As for Rob, he won the whole thing. So that makes up for my not making any money AGAIN in our home game. This better not turn into the norm. I liked it much better when Rob and I both made it to the money pretty much every game.

No comments: