Saturday, November 11, 2006

Some Poker at Ultimate Bet

So I've been playing the micro limits ($2NL) at UB a lot lately. When I had taken the break from poker, I had withdrawn all but a couple dollars from the site. Since I don't have any bonuses on the go right now, I figured I work on getting some of my bonus dollars from UB. I did start out at the limit tables seeing as my "bankroll" could easily disappear after one bad beat at the NL tables (I have more money elsewhere, but I don't want to deposit into UB unless they are offering a reload and even then, I withdraw right away so I have the funds available if another bonus comes up). Anyway, with the combination of winning and earning ultimate points (which convert my bonus money to real money) I get up to almost $10. This is around the time I'm getting sick of limit. It was a long slow grind even getting that far. So, I decide to risk it at the NL tables. I start out on a sick run. Any table I join I win a couple bucks pretty quickly. At one table, an all-in maniac joins. Every hand he goes all-in. I doubt I'd see this very often even at the $25NL tables, but it's not too uncommon at the penny tables. So, I wait while others call him with mediocre hands and end up doubling him up several times to about $11. Finally, I get the Kiss of Death, KK. Well, it's time to press my luck. I have about $3 in front of me, I call his all-in and surprisingly, the hand holds up! Even more surprisingly, I wasn't the only caller. There were four people in this pot and the Kings survive against all of them. So, just from that hand alone, I get a huge boost to the bankroll on UB. Of course, since it's only $2NL, it's went from $12 to about $22. Unfortunately, variance has now kicked in. My bankroll seems stuck around the $25 mark at the site. I will have a few winning sessions, then next session, I'll lose several buy-ins equaling about what I won in the previous sessions. Bah, stupid poker. I just have to remember to stay patient and wait for variance to once again be in my favour.

No comments: