Sunday, December 16, 2007

First!

Last night was the final game of the Poker at Rob's league. It was definitely a smaller game with only 11 people turning out. But of course since it's almost Christmas, it's understandable we didn't have many players.

I started out the game well. Last couple of games, I've tried loosening up preflop and limping with hands I normally fold. This is for the early stages only though, I tighten up later on. I think based on the type of players we have, it's helped me get deeper in the tournaments. Even with being loose, the hands I am playing are still stronger than those most others are playing. Plus I'm in more pots and getting more chips early, which is definitely a plus.

The game started out fast. We were down to four players and still at the 20/40 blind level. We were all joking that we would have to start another tournament since this one was lasting not much more than an hour.

All of us spoke too soon. Until the blinds reached 250/500, we were still at 4 players. No one was able to die. There were all ins and calls, but the chips just seemed to move back and forth between players. I finally ended up eliminating Rob with KQs. I had raised, but he was so short that essentially put him all in, so he pushed. I of course called. My hand held and we were finally three.

The game finally sped up after that. Blinds are 300/600 and Brett goes out and it's me and Mike H head's up. It only took about 3 or 4 hands, but I took out Mike with A2o. He had AKo. We were allin preflop and I ended up sucking out a 2 on the turn. So a nice FIRST for me.

Unfortunately, even with a strong finish at the end of the league, I still finished 5th for league points, so bubbling the money for that. First ended up being Adam, Rob was second, Brent came in third and Mike C was fourth.

The league was great fun and we are going to do it again next year. I'm looking forward to it and maybe next year, I will finish top four for the league.

No comments: