Saturday, April 29, 2006

On a Whim

Time to get down to posting about some poker. Today is one of my days off work, so I was able to play a lot of poker.

First thing, on a whim I decided to try out a $12+$1 Double Shootout to this Sunday's $1M guaranteed at PokerStars. This is a bigger buy-in to a tournament than I normally play. I've played a few $10+1 buy-ins, but they have only been for fun (either WWdN tourneys or TPF tourneys). I didn't expect to get far, I'm not the greatest SnG player, but I wanted to try something different and if I lucked out, I might end up 530 T$ richer. I busted out 37th. I was second at my table. Had I won HU, I would have been moving on to the next round. Ah well, I really enjoyed that game and felt I played a good game. It would have taken a lot to finish first at the table anyway. I went into HU shortstacked, he had almost 10K, I had almost 2K. Basically, if I hit I was moving all-in, which I did. He just ended up hitting an even better hand on the flop.

Next, Rob encouraged me to join a $5.50 that was just about to start. I did and just couldn't catch any cards. I ended up 335/691. I did state in my last post that I'm a decent tourney player, right? It doesn't seem like it. Since my last big win, I have yet to make it to the money in a tournament.

And finally, I played some $.02-$.04 Limit Hold'em. I much prefer NL, but for the last little while, I've been sitting at Limit tables to give them a whirl. I'd like to be able to play both equally well. At first, I hated limit. It just seemed like that no matter what cards I played, I was chased and lost. I'm thinking (hoping) it was just variance. Especially, since the last couple times, I've come away from the table up some money. Today, I left the table up $1.87.

I'm probably going to play some more poker tonight. If I do, hopefully, I remember to update.

No comments: