Tuesday, May 09, 2006

WWdN Tourney

I joined the weekly Wil Wheaton dot net tournament tonight. I play them about every other week or so. It's a nice change to the donk-fests I play in the low limit buy-ins.

Again, I started off well. Doubled up a few times and got my stack to about 5k. Then after first break, when blinds were starting to creep up (75/150 and higer), the tables start to tighen up. I stay fairly tight myself, but raise a bit more. This is interspersed with a few all-in plays pre-flop from the short stacks. Then what I feel was the hand that marked the end for my game....

I raised from MP to 800 with 66. More often than not a raise led to a fold at this stage. But someone in LP decideds to raise all-in. It's only another 250 more for me to call so I have to. I've got the odds. He shows KTo. I'm ahead, but the river laughs at this and brings on the K. Two hands later, I get dealt TT. Someone ahead of me raises all-in. It's a short stack, but it's still about 2k to call. I hit time to think about it. It's half my stack and TT isn't that great. But, a short stack is likely to go all-in with any A or any K, they could even have a small pair. I decide to push all-in to isolate. I think I should have folded, TT is just too marginal a pocket pair to make a call for half your stack like that. Anyway, my opponent flips over big slick. Guess what comes on the river. If you picked the king, pick the other card.

So now I'm a short stack. In fact, in a couple hands I went from 6th, to second last (23 left at this point). So now I'm in all-in or fold mode. I have to wait a couple orbits for a hand, hands like 64o and T2o, just don't cut it. When I get A6o. Well, it's the best I've had and an Ace is something at least. I push. I get one caller, he has A2o. Well, at least the 2 came on the flop rather than the river and I'm out. Grrrr...

Today's Win/Loss: $-11
Bankroll: $775.63

No comments: