Sunday, July 20, 2008

BBQ Night

It was our annual BBQ/Poker Night today. Turnout was great. Of course offering up all you can eat hot dogs, hamburgers and salad helps.

This months poker game was a $2 rebuy. I suspect this helped for high turnout as well. New game lower buy-in and such. We had a record this month, a total of 19 people for the poker game. There were more people than that there for the BBQ, friends and family not playing, but we're not concerned with them. This is about poker.

I didn't try to play the rebuy too reckless, but any pocket pair, I was shoving my stack in. I did go in a few times, 55, QQ, JJ, AK. I was getting some nice hands. Very helpful in a rebuy (as long as you don't get sucked out on). I remained lucky and was able to get past the rebuy period with the initial 2 buyins and the add-on only. Plus, my stack was decent.

The fun part, even after the rebuy period there were some crazy plays. A lot of big raises and overbetting the pot. Avlot of us were deep stacked too, so not much of a need to risk it all just yet. The blinds started at 50/100 and the chip leader at our table had just over 20k in chips, I had about 9k.

The only really exciting hand I had was at the final table (10 players total). I was either the button or CO and there were a lot of limpers in front of me, so I limp in with QJo. I flop the nuts of 89T but there were two diamonds out. There is a small bet and almost everyone calls till it gets to me. I was semi worried about the flush draws, especially since there were two very loose players in the pot, so I raise the bet about 5 times. I was pretty sure I would get at least one caller. I got two (the two losse players I mentioned). Fortunately, there is no diamond on the turn. I'm not sure if on the turn first to act bet out, but the second caller went all-in. I was like, okay, I'm all in too. First to act also calls. Wow, this is a huge pot. Both have me covered. They both have two pair (forget exactly what though) and neither improve. I triple my stack, putting me in 1st with a huge lead!

I essentially keep my lead for the rest of the game and as is alway nice, I take the whole thing down. It was a big payout this month. I'm sure there were a few people who put much more than $10 (our normal buyin) into the game. So a big first place prize, plus tons of league points for me. I continue to hold my first place in the league as well, and if Rob did the math correctly, he said I was about 100 points ahead of second. This is a nice lead, as average points for first is typically about 80 points.

No comments: